Sunday, September 19, 2010

Trigeminal Stimulation???

I may not be a Cono Sur but, I know when my nose hurts. Whew! Thankfully, the chemical I got from this baby—that burns the nose (and the retro nasal areas for you connoisseurs out there) blows off with a little time, leaving behind the lovely peach, melon, spice and honey notes I like to find in Viognier.

      All nose surprises aside, Cono Sur 2009, a "Wine of Chile" from Winemaker Adolfo Hurtado, is a really nice find for $11.99 at Wine 101 in Wake Forest, N.C. Its vanilla label (no photo needed here) picturing a simple bicycle to indicate the winemaker's "greenness" and because visitors will find this simple transportation everywhere, drew my attention because of its cute name. What I found inside the bottle was a lot more interesting: light straw color and brilliant clarity, honey, lemon, and peach flavors punctuated with spicy white pepper, crisp-tart acids, and a lively, lingering finish. I'd agree with the Hurtado that this wine would pair beautifully with spicy Asian foods. I’ll ride home again with this in my basket...
    

No comments:

Post a Comment